Checking Lawnmower – Before Cutting your Grass
Checking Lawnmower.There is nothing more frustrating than if you go to the shed ,pull out the lawnmower ,pull the cord and it won’t start .You know it was working the last time you used so why has it all gone wrong now.
Like any mechanical malfunction the reasons can be numerous.And if you are not a mechanic where do you start. Like everything prevention is better than a cure ,yes even for your mower.
Below we have listed some simple time saving tips to avoid the frustration of the aborted start of your mower.
1/Check the oil level on the dip stick before each use and top up if necessary. It is also advisable to use the fuel and oil recommended by the engine manufacturer.
2/You should also look to have fresh fuel in your mower. For example unleaded petrol goes stale if stored for 3 months or more, therefore making your mower much more difficult to start.This will make your mower difficult to start. In terms of the fuels longevity ,it is best to store petrol/oil in a safe ,cool, dry place within an air tight vessel. Plastic drums are the best as metal containers can rust from within and corrupt the petrol.
3) If you require to check the underside of the mower .Futhermore always lift the mower up from the front ,so that the spark plug points upwards. You should never the mower on
its side even for short periods .This could cause fuel from the carburettor or oil from the sump to flow into the air filter. Thus causing difficulty in starting and excessive smoking or terminal contamination of the air filter element.
3) Keep your spark plug clean and check your air filter regularly. Sponge air filter elements ,these may be washed in paraffin or even soap and water .
They should be then dried and re-oiled afterwards. If your mower has a Paper air filter these cannot be washed but must be replaced if very dirty or contaminated .
4) Frequently check the tightness of all nuts, bolts and screws on the engine, handles, chassis and blade. Stop using the mower if any bolts or screws are missing until they can be replaced.
5) If the wheels become loose or wobbly, check for wear and replace if required.
6) Keep the drive mechanism on self-propelled mowers in good working order. Regularly remove the belt cover to clear accumulated grass and debris and check the condition of the drive belt. Check that the drive cable is adjusted correctly.
7) Have your blade sharpened regularly or replace. Dealers such as Fraser C Robb can assist here. Furthermore Rotary mower blades should be replaced every 2 years to prevent metal fatigue.
8) After each outing it is important to clean the underside of the mower .As grass attached to the underside of the mower will decay which creates acids which erode the metal of your mower. Also clean the grass box too ,as this can prevent air flow for future use.
9) It is important to always store your mower on a level surface. If you hang your mower from a wall the oil from the sump may migrate throughout the engine, causing starting issues.
10) Finally at the start of the new season, check the oil level and refill the fuel tank with freshly bought fuel.
In conclusion, the above are important check points for your mower .However for some of you who may not be technical ,your local authorised dealer such as Fraser C Robb will be happy to carry out regular or annual servicing and maintenance for you.
Lawnmowers in Glasgow and Stirling
The vast selection of lawnmowers available to buy in today’s garden machinery market place is quite daunting. Styles and designs that appear completely alien
from what we would have envisaged from the lawnmower we perhaps saw or grandfather or father use. Each one is unique .It has differing features and uses, with some being very specifically suited to certain types and sizes of lawn.
With so much choice it is wise to do your homework. Or contact a company like Garden Lawnmowers Direct on deciding on which lawnmower is best for you and your garden.
As not all mowers are equal. Furthermore price is also pivotal . What you are willing to spend, as well as what your needs are.
The products we sell are from leading lawnmower brands including Mountfield ,Hayter, Cub Cadet, Bosch, Cobra and Flymo.
We will provide advice and assistance and after sales service .So be sure to ask our advice regarding the type of mower you need .We are at the end of the phone. You can email us also to ask any questions.
Lawnmowers in Scotland and the UK