Buying Lawnmowers-A lawnmower is the most common and important machine in your gardening arsenal, wielding the power to transform a lawn from an overgrown jungle into a perfectly-trimmed haven. Before buying yours, there are a number of things you should consider.
Types of Lawnmower
- Petrol/Electric Lawnmower: A “traditional” lawnmower, and the one you are most likely to encounter on a daily basis, this mower is fitted with a spinning blade on the deck and powered by an engine.
- Push Lawnmower: Powered by physically pushing it rather than a motor or engine. As the mower is pushed, a set of rotary blades will spin and trim the lawn. This is ideal for all sized gardens, depending only on your physical capacity.
- Hover Mower: Ideal for small gardens, this mower glides effortlessly across the lawn, mounted on a cushion of air. It operates in a similar fashion to a hovercraft.
- Rear-Roller Lawnmower: Fitted with a “grass rolling pin” this mower cuts like your traditional lawnmower but leaves the lawn with a pristine, striped finish.
- Ride-On Lawnmower: All the power and precision of a petrol lawnmower but with none of the effort. This is ideal for large gardens, or commercial use on areas such as golf courses.
There are two main types of cutting system in a lawnmower:
- Rotary Mower: A lawnmower fitted with between five and twelve blades which rotate as the mower is pushed. It does not fare well in long grass.
- Cylinder Mower: The most common cutting system which consists of one spinning blade at the base of the deck. It can handle most lengths of grass.
Most lawnmowers cut somewhere between 20mm-90mm in height (though this will vary between models). This allows you to choose the length of your grass, depending on your desired look.
Grass cut too short is more likely to suffer drought, heat damage, and be plagued by weeds. Grass allowed to grow too long will attract unwanted pests, and make your next cut much more difficult (with additional clippings needing to be cleaned up).
Choosing an appropriate cutting width will depend on the size of your garden. A wider cut will trim the lawn faster but a thinner one will increase precision, as well as effectiveness in tight spaces.
Want the bowling-green striped finish?
Some mowers come fitted with a rear-roller to achieve that greener-than-green look. Alternatively, for large scale lawns, you can purchase push/tow roller attachments for tractors.
When To Mow?
The lawn should be cut regularly between March and October (since it is in these months it grows most rapidly). Depending on the season, the frequency of these cuts will vary:
- During Winter: Usually unnecessary.
- Spring & Autumn: Once per fortnight (once per week in warmer weather).
- Summer: Once per week (twice per week in warmer weather).
Some lawnmowers will employ a mulching system while others will have a grass collection box/bag.
- Mulching System: Finely chops lawn clippings and deposits them back to the grass, allowing the lawn to re-absorb the nutrients. Lawns cut with a mulching mower may require raking afterwards.
- Grass Collection: Gathers all the lawn clippings in a convenient box that can then be disposed of with ease.
Brands Available on Garden Lawnmowers Direct
At Garden Lawnmowers Direct we stock a comprehensive selection of lawnmowers from all your favourite brands, including:
Buying Lawnmowers By Dylan Blyth
Lawnmowers in Glasgow and Stirling
The vast selection of lawnmowers available to buy in today’s garden machinery market place is quite daunting. Styles and designs that appear completely alien
from what we would have envisaged from the lawnmower we perhaps saw or grandfather or father use. Each one is unique .It has differing features and uses, with some being very specifically suited to certain types and sizes of lawn.
With so much choice it is wise to do your homework. Or contact a company like Garden Lawnmowers Direct on deciding on which lawnmower is best for you and your garden.
As not all mowers are equal. Furthermore price is also pivotal . What you are willing to spend, as well as what your needs are.
The products we sell are from leading lawnmower brands including Mountfield ,Hayter, Cub Cadet, Bosch, Cobra and Flymo.
We will provide advice and assistance and after sales service .So be sure to ask our advice regarding the type of mower you need .We are at the end of the phone. You can email us also to ask any questions.
Lawnmowers in Scotland and the UK